Currently, there is a strong increase in interest and demand for software from the high-security sector. The defense and military industry as well as emergency and rescue services are taking digitization to the next level. However, particularly rigid requirements apply to software deployment. VNC, a leading developer of open source-based enterprise applications, lists five important criteria that require special attention:
- Functionality: The secure basis of any software function is auditable open source code. It must be both infrastructure-agnostic and cloud-agnostic, and it must be able to be integrated into the existing security infrastructure. For sensitive data and security-savvy customers, open source is also the only way to audit independently and reliably.
- Deployment and operation: Secure software must be flexible in terms of hosting and allow the freedom to choose between on-premises or a SaaS provider during deployment. Automated, containerized deployment helps with secure software rollout. This means that all employees are always up to date with the same, latest and therefore most secure software release with little effort.
- Security: Software must ensure maximum protection against threats of any kind (hacks, data leaks, espionage, terrorism). The use of advanced technologies such as OMEMO encryption and blockchain processes enables special, automated security features for encryption, signatures, identity management and digital provenance verification.
- Usability: A secure software makes life easier for users through the use of modern operating and usage concepts, whose look and feel resembles the one of private applications such as apps, social media and gaming. It also enables DevOps and SecOps concepts that better integrate application development and operation with internal workflows and processes.
- Mobility: For mobile use, all of the above criteria must also be met. The prerequisite for this is a uniform code base for all clients through hybrid code development for operating system-independent software development. This means that changes only have to be made once and are immediately effective for all applications regardless of the operating system.
“Security-critical organizations and authorities can serve as a blueprint for companies of all kinds in their choice of software equipment,” emphasizes Andrea Wörrlein, managing director of VNC in Berlin and member of the board of VNC AG in Zug. “They show what is currently feasible and how they can best equip themselves against cyber threats. Any software that passes the endurance test is often the best solution for civilian applications as well.”
About VNC – Virtual Network Consult AG
VNC – Virtual Network Consult AG, based in Switzerland, Germany and India, is a leading developer of open source-based enterprise applications and positions itself as an open and secure alternative to the established software giants. With VNClagoon, the organization with its global open source developer community has created an integrated product suite for enterprises, characterized by high security, state-of-the-art technology and low TCO. VNC’s customers include system integrators and telcos as well as large enterprises and institutions.
Further information on https://vnclagoon.com, on Twitter @VNCbiz and on LinkedIn.
VNC – Virtual Network Consult AG
Phone: +41 (41) 727 52 00