Zug, Switzerland, 15 February 2022 – The software boom continues unabated, with exciting new apps being developed around the globe. VNC names five key aspects that will shape app development this year.
Application development is a multi-billion dollar business with a high risk factor. Those who do not accurately reflect user interests or insist on proprietary solo runs can quickly end up on the sidelines. When it comes to the application landscape, a number of development trends are emerging. VNC, developer and provider of open source-based enterprise applications, lists the five most important trends:
- Think Mobile: More and more applications are being used on Android or iOS devices. App development must adapt accordingly. Parallel software programming, maintenance and support for different operating systems is far too cumbersome and costly. It is increasingly being replaced by the operating system-independent development of applications that are only specified for Android, iOS or even stationary operating systems such as Windows in the final step. For users, this also has the advantage that app operation in these operating system environments is almost identical.
- Gamification: The visual boundaries between private applications such as games or social media on the one hand and “professional” applications in the working environment on the other hand will continue to blur. The look and feel of the latter, but also the operating logic of private apps, are becoming more and more similar, making intuitive use a key success factor. This increases the acceptance of professional apps among users and thus reduces familiarization time, training and education efforts, as well as the associated costs.
- Integrated applications and modularity: Mobile users usually work with a multitude of apps. In this environment, cumbersome monolithic applications have an increasingly difficult time. Instead, the trend is towards modular and highly customizable applications that can be adjusted to the respective user behavior and that allow users to switch back and forth seamlessly. This is particularly easy with software stacks whose range of functions can be expanded or reduced as needed.
- Fluidity: The principle of fluidity goes even further – it is a new form of function integration that goes beyond the scope of conventional programs or tools. For example, a chat can be opened for project members in a project management system without having to call up a dedicated chat program. The boundaries between applications are becoming blurred, and instead the focus is shifting to the functions, which are becoming more and more closely interlinked. This is an enormous advantage, especially in the mobile sector where display sizes are limited.
- Always on – global off: With modern applications, the problem of presence and notification can be better managed. On the one hand, users who need to be available all the time can continue to work seamlessly when switching devices – for example from a notebook to a smartphone – because the software automatically synchronizes itself. On the other hand, it is possible to control availability in a very differentiated way, for example only for certain colleagues or partners – up to the global off, if necessary. This aspect is becoming increasingly important in order to control workloads and work-life balance.
“For software development, 2022 will be a highly interesting year,” emphasizes Andrea Wörrlein, managing director of VNC in Berlin and board member of VNC AG in Zug. “We see applications becoming more independent from devices, operating systems and proprietary restrictions, while becoming more user-friendly at the same time. Software that does not meet these requirements will have an increasingly difficult time competing in the market.”
About VNC – Virtual Network Consult AG
VNC – Virtual Network Consult AG, based in Switzerland, Germany and India, is a leading developer of open source-based enterprise applications and positions itself as an open and secure alternative to the established software giants. With VNClagoon, the organization with its global open source developer community has created an integrated product suite for enterprises, characterized by high security, state-of-the-art technology and low TCO. VNC’s customers include system integrators and telcos as well as large enterprises and institutions. Further information on https://vnclagoon.com, on Twitter @VNCbiz and on LinkedIn.
VNC – Virtual Network Consult AG
Phone: +41 (41) 727 52 00